27 November 2021

remembering Aunt Lucille

When I was a child, I had the most wonderful penpal ever. Aunt Lucile was actually my father’s aunt, older sister to my grandmother. She was also my friend. Even through those impossible teen years when it was not cool to write letters to elderly aunts, she was patient with me and persevered — and I continued to write her through the rest of her life. Even when dementia changed the content of the letters.

For many years of her adult life Lucile remained single, taking care of my great-grandparents and teaching. In fact she began her teaching career in a rural 1-room schoolhouse! Later on, she married a widower and helped raise his 3 sons.

Though I take more after my grandmother in looks (she’s also where I get the ability to draw), I like to think I’m a lot like Lucile in curiosity and varied interests.

Among so many hobbies (and she was good at everything she tried!), she also made sock monkeys. Sadly, I did not end up with one of her monkeys, but when I saw this little guy I bought it to remember her. There are a lot of different facial expressions on sock monkeys but this one looks quite a lot like hers did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...