09 January 2020

updated Gansai palette


Last month I received this Kissho Gansai Japanese watercolor set and I’ve finally tweaked it to where I want it. I normally paint out a color chart, or map, for my palettes to remember the arrangement, but  I decided to do one in my sketchbook journal this time instead. It is very hard to differentiate between some of these colors in the pan so a color chart is a necessity.

Some of the colors that came with this set seemed redundant, so I removed them and added three of the Kuretaki Gansai paints I previously had. Then I added two smaller Akashiya Gansai pans — I already had a metallic gold so why not a silver? And of course I had to try the turquoise!

I grabbed my neglected Pentel Pocketbrush pen (I use this rather than buying the traditional sumi ink), restocked some Etagami postcards from jetpens.com . . . . Now I’m all set to make more Etagami cards. This Japanese folk art is a simple way to warm up before more demanding sketches, and an easy way to make art when I don’t seem to have time or patience.

Deborah Davidson (dosankodebbie) has been a great source of information about Etagami, with her book, blog, and Etsy shop. All are highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...