06 May 2019

Bradley as etegami


My brother’s birthday is fast approaching and I usually paint a special card for him each year. This year he is missing his dog who passed away so I decided to draw a dog for him. I borrowed a quote from one of Debbie Davidson’s etegami cards, substituting an image of our grandaughter’s dog, Bradley. Debbie wrote a wonderful book, “A Beginner’s Guide to Etegami”, found here.

My first try was using a card of 3-layer Hongasen paper — I had forgotten how much this paper bleeds and got the watercolor too close to the lines. Which is usually fine for etegami as they are meant to be “messy”. But I wanted to try again so I did a second one on Gasen paper. The second one actually looks a bit more like Bradley, who is a Great Pyrenees - golden retriever mix.


Traditionally these cards are signed with a hanko (name stamp or chop) but I don’t have one. So I draw one in with a red Pigma Micron pen. I use a traditional bamboo brush for adding color, but use my Pentel Pocketbrush pen for the ink lines. The color is from a Gansai Tambi watercolor set. I keep these etegami tools together in a kit, just for making cards . . . but I haven’t used them for several years now. Maybe I should get them out and play more often.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...