18 November 2017

a really big leaf


Three of our grandkids came to spend a couple of days with us. Needville High School was sending their volleyball team to the state competition up north of Dallas; so many teachers planned on going (including our son, Jason) that they just closed all the town's schools Friday rather than trying to find all those substitutes.

Today the kids and I took a walk . . . and found this Really Big oak leaf, a full 11" long! Rather bug-chewed and crumbly, but fun to sketch anyway.

And we just heard: the Needville team are the new state champions!

8 comments:

  1. I love your leaf! I am having a hard time finding colorful leaves. I love that this one is bug eaten and crumbly. You did a wonderful job. Congratulations to Needville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i actually do have a shrub with brilliant red leaves on the branch tips . . . but it's not really autumn color, it's the norm for photinia (?) shrubs. So I guess they don't count. 🍃🍂🍃

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to Needville! A congratulations on a lovely leaf, full of character .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like things in nature that have "character", showing a bit of wear and tear. Like a real life lived, good and bad.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I don't think I ever found a leaf that large. I guess everything is bigger in Texas! 😉 You did a beautiful job painting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The size sort of surprised me when I saw it, especially with the tip eaten away (who knows how long it was before that!). One of the most common oaks to our area are the massive Live Oaks, yet they have the tiniest leaves and acorns. Most other oaks have "normal" sized leaves.

      Not everything is bigger in Texas: our deer in Kansas were much bigger than those around here!

      Delete
  4. Oh, yes I miss your colorful autumn leaves... But this one is lovely without colorful colors, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to draw . . . and a special memory of a walk with our grandchildren!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...