28 January 2015

AJW # 26, 27, & 28


My take on the recent drawing challenges are an illustrated quote, a portrait of a favorite artist, and wind chimes.

Many of my favorite quotes are from J. R. Tolkien; in fact, my copy of "Lord of the Rings" has many underlined passages and marginal notes. Many of the words point me to the Bible's truths -- the above quote makes me think of Esther's part in delivering her people.

One of my favorite artists is Karl Bodmer, after seeing his work in "Karl Bodmer's America". He was hired by German explorer Prince Maxmilian to paint illustrations of the Missouri River wilderness in 1832 - 1834. Gorgeous watercolors worked small yet with such detail that they retain their beauty when enlarged. He also recorded much of nature and native peoples that Lewis & Clark found a few years previously.

Some of Bodmer's works can be seen here.

As for wind chimes, I had a musically-tuned one that I loved. But a clematis vine went wild, getting tangled in it and breaking the thread. Bill has declared our new home "wind chime free" --- Turns out he hates them!

11 comments:

  1. That's very nice, Vicky! How did you do the portrait? Did you do first pen or watercolor? It looks great!
    I´ve had a look at work of Karl Bodmer - his work is really worth to see... Love especially paintings of native people and their life... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sketched Bodmer's portrait in ink (sepia ink I mixed from black and brown inks) from a photo I found online, then added 2 watercolor colors: buff titanium and sepia. His work is amazing! My favorites are the landscapes with white chalk bluffs, buffalo and elk.

      The guy who introduced me to watercolor painted a whole show of landscapes following Bodmer's steps along the Missouri river. In his show, he had Bodmer's painting from the 1830's next to the one he painted of the same place in the 1990's. Lots of changes but still beautiful.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your answer, I haven't tried mixing inks yet. It must have been fun!

      Delete
    3. I think it is best when mixing inks that they be of the same brand. My polar black and polar brown were both from Noodler's. I'm looking forward to trying the da Artemensis inks coming out of Europe: water resistant, safe for fountain pens, and designed to be mixed!

      Delete
    4. Thank you for the informations, Vicky!
      Can you, please, be so kind and explain me, what's the difference between ink and Indian ink? We call them "tuš" (Indian ink) and "atrament" (ink). As I know, Indian ink can't be put into fountain pens, you have just to soak a pen into it and draw, and after some strokes you must soak it again etc. While ink you can fill into fountain pen. In English everything is just INK for me, and I don´t know what is what. I have some Winsor and Newton inks, but we use them only for calligraphy - soak pen and write... Don't you know about them - may I put them into fountain pen?
      http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-drawing-inks/#photos
      Thanks for your reply!

      Delete
    5. Jana, I don't know a lot about inks but I do know you never put acrylic inks in a fountain pen. I think Winsor & Newton inks are acrylic and should never be used in fountain pens.

      I play it safe by only using inks in fountain pens that actually say they are safe for fountain pens. I learn about these brands from reading what other artists who have tested them say, like Liz Steel and Jane Blundell.

      Delete
    6. Thank you for your advices! I think I will have a look at their blogs! Thanks you so much, Vicky!!

      Delete
  2. That is one of my favorite quotes from Tolkien, and I absolutely love how you incorporated the scroll. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Tolkien's way with words is truly magical.

      Delete
  3. The wind chime story made me smile as I have a similar story. I like your page layout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering why it took Bill so long to tell me he didn't like wind chimes! (They COULD be a bit obnoxious when we lived in Kansas, where the wind never quits.)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...