20 September 2014

late summer wildflowers . . . and a baby pecan


Last week I went on the hunt for more wildflowers, this time sketching them in my newest sketchbook instead of the tiny one I've been using for wildflowers. I'll probably re-draw these into that book later.

Most prevalent in the area now is Snow-on-the-Mountain. Huge swaths fill nearby pastures, truly looking from a distance like "snow". Studying it up close, I was surprised to discover that the white "petals" are actually bracts. The flowers are the tiny ones with yellow centers.

My favorite is the Scarlet Pea . . . so tiny, I almost didn't see it at all! Found while walking around Old Baylor University in Independence, TX.

I added the immature pecan from a morning walk . . . just because it was cute and fuzzy.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful and delicate, Vicky! Have a nice late summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jana! This was a good way to bring a close to summer --- hard to believe that Autumn begins today (or is it tomorrow?)
    Blessibgs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...