13 March 2014

bear-making . . . again


When our first grandchild turned 7, I made her a hand-made teddy bear with antique shoe-button eyes and real mohair fur. I used to make these to sell in the 1980s/1990s. So I made it a tradition by doing the same for each grandchild on their 7th birthday.

This year, it's Quen's turn. Because he loves wearing button-down shirts with real ties, and loves to sketch and paint, the style was obvious --- a wee artist bear. I only need to sew the ears on and he will be finished. And then sew a tiny sketchbook bound in leather for the bear (or Quen) to fill up with drawings. I used leftover bits of paper from binding regular sketchbooks for the pages, which will measure just under 2" when done.

I'm in more of a mood to sketch, so I took time to do so instead of finishing the bear yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. That is an adorable bear. He will love it. What fun to sketch it..for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cris! Sketching it also helps me think through my ideas for face and clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely! Cool idea and nice sketch! Gorgeous pages!!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...